- Remember doing something is much better than doing nothing
- Muscle burns many more calories a day than fat, so doing some strengthening will raise your metabolism
- Fitness goals need to be realistic, look for a program that you can use for a lifetime, don’t look for a quick fix
- You cannot turn fat into muscle and vice versa
- Fat carried in the middle is more dangerous than fat carried on the hips for heart disease
- If trying to reduce body fat, measuring yourself is a better determination of progress than weighing
- Your body ages faster the less you use it
- Exercising in your HRZ (heart rate zone) will help you reach your goals in a body fat reduction program faster
- HRZ formula: 220 minus your age =? (max heart rate) then multiply ? by 55% for low end, then multiply ? by 85% for high end.
- Personal training isn’t just for the rich and famous anymore
- When exercising always warm up first – lightly moving and stretching until you feel warm and invigorated
- Strength training movements should be slow and controlled, always!
- Abdominal exercises, like crunches, won’t take fat off your middle but will strengthen your abdominals